Skip to content

Topic - Grosse Pointe South High School

Grosse Pointe South High School (GPS), commonly called South, is one of two public high schools located in the Grosse Pointes, suburban cities adjacent to Detroit, Michigan. At the corner of Fisher Road and Grosse Pointe Blvd. in Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe High School, the first public high school in the area, opened its doors in 1928. It became Grosse Pointe South High School in 1967 when the board of education created Grosse Pointe North High School. In 1993, Grosse Pointe South was added to the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in architecture, art, and education. The school anchors one of Grosse Pointe's most historically significant neighborhoods, known as the Beverly Road Historic District. Grosse Pointe Memorial Church, Christ Church Grosse Pointe, and Richard Elementary School (all on the National Register of Historic Places) are within two blocks of Grosse Pointe South. - Source: Wikipedia

Related Stories