- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
House Economic Matters Committee
Latest House Economic Matters Committee Items
The Maryland House of Delegates on Wednesday turned against Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley's plan to tie the minimum wage to inflation.
A panel of Maryland lawmakers voted Monday to increase the state's minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 an hour over three years, but lawmakers stripped out a proposal to index future increases to inflation.
More than 20 Democrats in Maryland's legislature are calling on their colleagues to get the minimum wage increase bills to the House and Senate floor as soon as possible.
The state of Maryland should make sure that a minimum amount of sick leave is available to low-wage employees who can't afford to miss a day's pay, Del. John A. Olszewski Jr. says.
Delegates are considering a mandate for businesses to give their employees paid sick days - about eight or nine annually for full-time workers.
Maryland lawmakers will be hearing testimony on a measure to raise the state's minimum wage.
Gov. Martin O'Malley plans to testify in support of a minimum wage increase when House and Senate committees take up the bill this week.
Maryland lawmakers appear poised to pass an offshore wind energy bill in this year's General Assembly, after balking at similar proposals in the last two years by Gov. Martin O'Malley.
Gov. Martin O'Malley's offshore wind energy bill received a late gust of support Monday that indicates lawmakers may be serious about pushing the measure into law during the session's final two weeks.