- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
James E. Hansen
Latest James E. Hansen Items
James E. Hansen will no longer be touring the country preaching his end-times hysteria, collecting a $158,832 government paycheck for it. Mr. Hansen demonstrated a certain mastery of the art of leveraging, using his position as head of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies to promote a personal brand of global warming quackery.
Those who dare assert the Earth's temperature isn't on a perilous rise are derided as "deniers." For liberals, the climate debate has ended, and it is an unquestionable article of faith that mankind's carbon-dioxide emanations have set the stage for rising oceans, devastating hurricanes and disasters on a scale never before seen.
Patrick J. Michaels' Tuesday column on NASA laboratory head James E. Hansen's anti-democracy rant about how the Chinese dictatorship can better fight climate change was revealing about the mindset of green fanatics in the United States ("China-style dictatorship of climatologists," Commentary). It also exposed Mr. Hansen's ignorance about actual Chinese policy. Beijing will pursue energy efficiency where it makes sense, but it has never accepted global warming as a constraint on economic growth.
The booger man is scaring our European friends and relations again.
Imagine if a former military officer, a traditional-values conservative now an attache at the State Department, wrote for a largely foreign audience to urge an international boycott of U.S. goods. The aim was to ruin the American economy to protest the new policy of allowing open homosexuality in the armed forces. Media outlets and politicians would be screaming for his dismissal. Free speech is one thing, but nobody on the taxpayer dole in a position of responsibility would be allowed to call for the destruction of our economy. One way or another, the man would be forced out.