- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Topic - Janet Wallach
This autumn has seen a slew of new books about the economy and the new plutocracy. None is as absorbing as Janet Wallach's "The Richest Woman in America," which takes us through America's repeated booms and busts through the eyes and coolheaded example of the remarkable financial genius Hetty Green.
When asked why she adored her Scottish terrier so much, she replied: "He doesn't know how rich I am."