- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
Latest Joe Harris Items
Mike Tobey's tip-in with 1:46 to play in overtime gave Virginia the lead and it held on to beat Maryland 61-58, giving the Cavaliers what they hope will be a push back into the field in the minds of bracketologists around the country.
Harris and Akil Mitchell combined for 55 of the Cavaliers' points as they celebrated the 11-year anniversary of their last victory over a top 5 team by doing it again on Thursday night.
Joe Harris scored 22 points, and Virginia showed its flexibility with an uncharacteristic lights-out shooting performance in an 80-69 victory over Maryland on Sunday.
Virginia led 54-48 following a 3-pointer by freshman Evan Nolte with 9:40 remaining. The Cavaliers then went more than 9 minutes without a field goal before Jontel Evans' driving basket with 35 seconds remaining.
Akil Mitchell added 14 points for Virginia, including an 18-foot jumper that put them ahead to stay, as the second-stingiest defense in the country put the clamps on.
Evan Nolte scored a career-high 18 points to lead Virginia past in-state rival Virginia Tech 74-58 on Thursday night.
George Mason guard Bryon Allen hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with just over a minute remaining, then made two free throws to seal a 63-59 victory over Virginia on Friday.
The 2012-13 NCAA basketball season begins Friday, Nov. 9, and The Washington Times has all you want to know about the local teams. Check out our preview content below.
Virginia Cavaliers 2012-13 preview.