- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- U.N. school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
Latest Joe Willis Items
A superstorm, a nor'easter and a pair of corresponding postponements stood between D.C. United and the New York Red Bulls playing their decisive playoff contest as planned. But when the match finally unfolded Thursday at Red Bull Arena, the drama proved worth the wait.
Progress, Bill Hamid observes, is relative. And at 21 years old, the D.C. United goalkeeper is neither satisfied nor disconcerted by his evolution as a player.
Pat Onstad is, by anyone's measure, one of the all-time great goalkeepers in MLS, a decorated figure whose playing career was dotted with an enviable collection of championships and individual accolades.
For nearly three years, D.C. United's inability to win back-to-back matches has been a fitting symbol for the club's maddening inconsistency, as well as a sore subject for players, coaches and fans alike.
Joe Willis was, as D.C. United coach Ben Olsen worded it, a "question mark."
Chris Pontius scored twice, and D.C. United snapped a seven-game home winless streak with a 4-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps at RFK Stadium on Saturday night.
Chris Pontius scored twice, and D.C. United snapped a seven-game home winless streak with a 4-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.