John Demjanjuk

Latest John Demjanjuk Items
  • ** FILE ** John Demjanjuk waits in a Munich courtroom on Thursday, May 12, 2011. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

    Appeals court rejects Demjanjuk citizenship bid

    A federal appeals court on Thursday rejected a request to restore the U.S. citizenship of a recently deceased Ohio autoworker convicted of Nazi war crimes.


  • ** FILE ** In this May 12, 2011, file picture John Demjanjuk leaves the court room, in Munich, southern Germany. German police say John Demjanjuk, who was charged with 28,060 counts of accessory to murder and convicted last year of serving as a Nazi death camp guard, has died. (AP Photo/dapd/ Lennart Preiss,File)

    John Demjanjuk, convicted death camp guard, dies

    John Demjanjuk, a retired U.S. autoworker who was convicted of being a guard at the Nazis' Sobibor death camp despite steadfastly maintaining over three decades of legal battles that he had been mistaken for someone else, died Saturday, his son told the Associated Press. He was 91.


  • ** FILE ** John Demjanjuk waits in a Munich courtroom on Thursday, May 12, 2011. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

    Demjanjuk hopeful of return to Ohio

    Convicted of serving as a Nazi death-camp guard and in failing health at 91, John Demjanjuk still hopes he might be able to return home to Ohio, his son said after seeing his father face to face for the first time since his deportation in 2009.


  • Lawyer Ulrich Busch (foreground) greets his client John Demjanjuk, who was convicted in a Munich court of thousands of counts of acting as an accessory to murder at a Nazi death camp and sentenced to five years in prison on Thursday, May 12, 2011. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

    Demjanjuk convicted over Nazi camp deaths

    Retired U.S. autoworker John Demjanjuk was convicted of thousands of counts of acting as an accessory to murder at a Nazi death camp and sentenced on Thursday to five years in prison, a groundbreaking verdict that closed one chapter in a decades-long legal battle.


  • On Tuesday, May 3, 2011, Ukrainian-born John Demjanjuk arrives in a wheelchair at a Munich courthouse, where he is on trial on 28,060 counts of being an accessory to murder for allegedly serving as a guard in the Nazis' Sobibor death camp. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

    Lawyer: Demjanjuk suffered as much as Jews did

    John Demjanjuk's lawyer argued Thursday for his client's acquittal on 28,060 counts of accessory to murder at the Nazis' Sobibor death camp, saying the 91-year-old alleged former guard suffered as much as the Jews did at the hands of Nazis.


  • John Demjanjuk is brought into the courtroom in Munich on Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011, where he is standing trial on 28,060 counts of accessory to murder on allegations that he agreed to serve as a guard at the Nazis' Sobibor death camp. Mr. Demjanjuk said he will go on hunger strike if the state court does not pursue more evidence that he says could exonerate him of the charges. (AP Photo/Lukas Barth, Pool)

    Demjanjuk threatens hunger strike

    John Demjanjuk told a Munich state court Tuesday he would go on hunger strike unless judges pursue more evidence that he claims could exonerate him of charges he served as a Nazi death camp guard.


  • This photo made available by Yad Vashem Photo Archive in Jerusalem shows Nazi guards at Belzec death camp in occupied Poland in 1942. Samuel Kunz, one of the world's most-wanted Nazi suspects who was under indictment on allegations he was involved in killing hundreds of thousands of Jews at a concentration camp in occupied Poland, has died, a Bonn court said Monday, Nov. 22, 2010. (AP Photo/Yad Vashem Photo Archive)

    Nazi suspect dies before Germany trial

    Samuel Kunz, one of the world's most-wanted Nazi suspects who was under indictment on allegations he was involved in killing hundreds of thousands of Jews at a concentration camp in occupied Poland, has died, a Bonn court said Monday.


  • Judge Thomas Walther (left) waits as defendant John Demjanjuk (right) enters the courtroom in a wheelchair in February for a session in Munich. Judge Walther is one of the key figures in the decision to try Mr. Demjanjuk, who is the first non-German alleged Nazi collaborator to stand trial in a German court. His trial resumes this week in Munich after a summer break. (Associated Press)

    Demjanjuk's ills slow Nazi trial

    The case of the retired Ohio autoworker accused of serving as a Nazi death camp guard has become increasingly dominated by the 90-year-old defendant's failing health.


Happening Now