- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Latest John Whitehead Items
A 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy was suspended from school after pretending to shoot his friend with an imaginary bow and arrow, and now his parents are threatening legal action against the school district.
John Whitehead's Commentary piece "Turning public schools into forts" (July 30) cites the dangers to personal liberty he perceives from high-tech security measures. The greater danger is from the high technology used by drug traffickers to facilitate production and distribution of their poisonous products among innocent and vulnerable schoolchildren. When children's lives are protected from the very real threats of drugs and violence in schools, then I will become concerned about the perceived intrusion upon their freedom that Mr. Whitehead imagines.
A judge on Thursday ordered the release of a former Marine who was detained for psychiatric evaluation after posting strident anti-government messages on Facebook.