- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
By Donald Lambro
The president writes off jobless Americans who have given up
Topic - Johnny Velazquez
Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan showed no signs of slowing down as a 7-year-old Friday, beating the late-charging Kaigun by three-quarters of a length in the Grade 1, $300,000 Maker's 46 Mile at Keeneland.
Animal Kingdom won the Derby in 2011 and the $10 million Dubai World Cup this year. The previous time a Derby winner ran at Ascot was in 1936 when Omaha, the 1935 Triple Crown winner, finished second in the signature Gold Cup race.
Phyllis Wyeth had a dream her horse, Union Rags, would win the Belmont Stakes, one that he fulfilled Saturday evening.
When I'll Have Another retreated from the winner's circle Saturday afternoon, a retired champion, he left the spotlight for another horse later in the evening.
"This horse is incredible," Velazquez said. "They don't come around that often."
"I have to say that this horse, we've been looking at this horse for a long time. ... I think that would be the horse of the future," he said. "We've been being looking for a long time if the opportunity would come up for me to ride the horse, I guess it worked out good for me today."