- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Latest Jonathan Alter Items
It's liberal columnist Jonathan Alter vs. Fox News President Roger Ailes.
With the end of combat in Iraq and Operation Enduring Freedom presidentially certified, all eyes are riveted on Afghanistan. This is the fight President Obama, when campaigning for office, called our "war of necessity." This is the theater of conflict where Mr. Obama, when debating Sen. John McCain barely two years ago, promised us victory, ending with the killing or capture of Osama bin Laden. Ironically, Afghanistan may also be the only war in American history with a presidential expiration date.
Christ walked on water, and Moses parted the Red Sea. Impressive as those feats were, they have to retreat when compared with an achievement pulled off by Newsweek columnist Jonathan Alter on MSNBC's "Rachel Maddow Show" on Tuesday.