- Just-forged Israel-Hamas cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
Latest Jose Padilla Items
MIAMI — A defense attorney for Jose Padilla asked for a mistrial yesterday, arguing that the jury would be prejudiced by a co-defendant counsel's questioning a government witness on whether killing was justified during jihad, or holy war.
MIAMI — A federal judge in Miami yesterday dealt a major blow to terrorist suspect Jose Padilla and his two co-defendants charged with aiding terrorism abroad, ruling that prosecutors could play for the jury an excerpt of the infamous 1997 Osama bin Laden interview with CNN in which the terrorist mastermind foreshadows attacks against the United States.
MIAMI — A defense attorney for terrorism suspect Kifah Wael Jayyousi introduced into evidence yesterday a newsletter faxed to the defendant's home that his attorneys contend illustrates he does not advocate or financially support Islamist violence.
MIAMI — Jurors heard wiretapped conversations yesterday of terrorism suspect Adham Amin Hassoun discussing what prosecutors assert were the travels of a fellow Muslim to Chechnya in 2000 to wage jihad, or holy war, in the breakaway Russian province.
MIAMI — Prosecutors in the trial of Jose Padilla yesterday played for the jury a selection of conversations recorded during the late 1990s in which the terrorist suspect and others are thought to discuss waging jihad, or holy war, in Kosovo.