- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Katrina New Orleans
Latest Katrina New Orleans Items
For a region that has been rocked by an earthquake and slammed by a tropical storm in the space of less than a week, Mother Nature may be providing a silver lining in the form of a business stimulus package.
It would have been embarrassing to overlook Melissa Leo when handing out the Emmy nominations this year. After all, she won an Oscar five months ago. So on Thursday, she got a well-deserved nod for the HBO miniseries "Mildred Pierce." That got Emmy voters off the hook.
A crowded nightclub is the setting. Ragtime music echoes through the smoke-filled room.
David Simon, creator of the HBO television series "The Wire," is among 23 recipients of this year's MacArthur Foundation "genius grants" _ news that left him with what he described as "a vague sense of guilt."
Dave Eggers and Amiri Baraka are among the winners of the 31st annual American Book Awards, given for literary works that cover "the entire spectrum of America's diverse literary community."