- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Latest Kaya Henderson Items
The District of Columbia public school system is launching an internal grant program that will allow schools to ask for money to fund extracurricular activities and other programs to make students happier.
An elementary school principal's claim that she saw teachers erasing answers on students' test sheets had reached District of Columbia Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson's desk within 24 hours of the alleged incident in late 2010, according to emails obtained by The Associated Press through a public records request.
A group of alumni and parents of Washington's Dunbar High School are developing a proposal to give the school greater autonomy, including making it a selective school based on applications.
More than 80,000 students headed back to school in the District on Monday, but it was a bumpy start for a few of them after two early morning school bus accidents.
D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray said his city should "double down" on gun laws that are among the most stringent in the country, as leaders in the nation's capital and other cities view the sudden debate over guns as a pressing issue that afflicts youth both inside and outside of school walls.
D.C. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson stood before a room of high school athletes in a swanky Verizon Center dining room Monday and reminded them of their hard work, good grades and effort to "do what was good and right" in the run-up to their showdown in the annual Turkey Bowl.
To D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson: Walk with all deliberate speed, make clear tread marks and watch your back.
D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson on Tuesday announced 20 schools that could be closed next year, among them the alma mater of four former NBA players, the District's first junior high school and an educational center built in 1927.
One D.C. high school student shot another as classes were letting out for the day Wednesday after an argument earlier between the teenagers, officials said.