- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Latest Kaya Henderson Items
The District of Columbia public school system is launching an internal grant program that will allow schools to ask for money to fund extracurricular activities and other programs to make students happier.
An elementary school principal's claim that she saw teachers erasing answers on students' test sheets had reached District of Columbia Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson's desk within 24 hours of the alleged incident in late 2010, according to emails obtained by The Associated Press through a public records request.
A group of alumni and parents of Washington's Dunbar High School are developing a proposal to give the school greater autonomy, including making it a selective school based on applications.
More than 80,000 students headed back to school in the District on Monday, but it was a bumpy start for a few of them after two early morning school bus accidents.
D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray said his city should "double down" on gun laws that are among the most stringent in the country, as leaders in the nation's capital and other cities view the sudden debate over guns as a pressing issue that afflicts youth both inside and outside of school walls.
D.C. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson stood before a room of high school athletes in a swanky Verizon Center dining room Monday and reminded them of their hard work, good grades and effort to "do what was good and right" in the run-up to their showdown in the annual Turkey Bowl.
To D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson: Walk with all deliberate speed, make clear tread marks and watch your back.
D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson on Tuesday announced 20 schools that could be closed next year, among them the alma mater of four former NBA players, the District's first junior high school and an educational center built in 1927.
One D.C. high school student shot another as classes were letting out for the day Wednesday after an argument earlier between the teenagers, officials said.