- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Keith Patrick O'Brien
A Scottish cardinal on Sunday acknowledged having engaged in unspecified sexual misbehavior, apologized for his actions, and promised to stay out of the church's public life in a statement that comes at an awkward time for the Vatican.
The Vatican is looking into allegations of "inappropriate behavior" by Cardinal Keith Patrick O'Brien, Britain's most senior Catholic cleric, officials said Sunday. The claims came at a sensitive time, as Cardinal O'Brien and other cardinals prepare for a conclave to choose the next pope.
In an interview with the BBC, Cardinal O'Brien said celibacy should be reconsidered because it's not based on doctrine but rather church tradition and "is not of divine origin."
At the time, Cardinal O'Brien said he had been misunderstood and wanted to clarify his position.