- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
- Joint Chiefs chair Dempsey: Pentagon, VA too slow in merging medical systems
- Sen. Ben Cardin hits Ukraine for crackdown on Kiev protests
- Drone technology turns South, targets feral pigs to kill
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets
- Better pack a lightsaber: House told space explorers could find alien life in 10 years
- Selfies gone too far? N.Y. woman snaps photo in front of suicidal man on bridge
- High times on D.C. radio: Toronto’s crack-addled Mayor Ford gets sports spot
- Israel mulls gift of West Bank land to Palestinians
- Stocks gain as investors weigh economic news
By Tom Harris and Madhav Khandekar
Bad science puts rich nations on the hook for trillions in climate liabilities
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Ken Russell
In a Nov. 28 obituary on filmmaker Ken Russell, The Associated Press, relying on information from his son Alex Verney-Elliott, erroneously reported that he had died in a hospital. His son now confirms that he was mistaken and that Russell died at his home in southern England.
Director Ken Russell got Oliver Reed and Alan Bates to wrestle naked, turned Vanessa Redgrave into a demonic nun and cast Ringo Starr as the pope. Critics and mainstream audiences often hated his films. Actors and admirers loved him.
Notable films about, or featuring, pop and rock stars
July 3: Movie director Ken Russell is 84. Singer Fontella Bass is 71. Actor Kurtwood Smith ("That 70s Show") is 68. Actor Michael Cole ("The Mod Squad") is 66. Country singer Johnny Lee is 65. Writer Dave Barry is 64. Actress Betty Buckley is 64. Guitarist-singer Paul Barrere of Little Feat is 63. Country singer Aaron Tippin is 53. Synthesizer player Vince Clarke of Erasure is 51. Actor Tom Cruise is 49. Actor Thomas Gibson is 49. Actress Hunter Tylo is 49. Actress Connie Nielsen ("Gladiator") is 47. Actress Yeardley Smith ("The Simpsons") is 47. Keyboardist-guitarist Kevin Hearn of Barenaked Ladies is 42. Singer Tonia Tash of Divine is 32. Actor Grant Rosenmeyer ("Oliver Beene") is 20.
Pete Townshend, who wrote "Tommy," described Russell as a "grand dame" who brought to his films about music the "lavish affection and the kind of grandiosity only musicians and composers can dream of."
"There was nothing I could do, that was the end of her," he said in the interview for the Sky Arts TV channel. "She was blown to pieces. It was something I couldn't get out of my mind and it remained with me forever."