- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
- Congress sends sweeping defense bill to Obama
- Multiple injuries as balcony collapses at London’s Apollo theatre during performance
- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
Linda St. Thomas
Latest Linda St. Thomas Items
Along with "nonessential' federal offices in Washington and around the country, a motley mix of art exhibitions, cultural events, historic archives and even the live "Panda Cam" would be among the budget casualties if the government shuts down.
Some local police and movie theaters are enacting stricter security measures after a gunman opened fire early Friday morning at a theater in Aurora, Colo., killing 12 and injuring more than 50 during the midnight premiere of the much-anticipated Batman flick "The Dark Knight Rises."
The Arizona lawmaker who proposed a challenge to automatic U.S. citizenship for children of illegal immigrants called off a scheduled vote on his measure Monday because he didn't have enough votes to get it out of committee.
The Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery quickly removed a video Tuesday that was part of an exhibit after complaints from a Catholic group that the images were sacrilegious.