- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
Latest Lionel Messi Items
After carrying his team through the group stage in Brazil with four goals, Messi seemed to run out of steam. In the final Sunday, he created chances but, like the rest of the team, lacked the finishing touch to turn the game for Argentina.
As the winning captain, either Argentina forward Lionel Messi or Germany defender Philipp Lahm will hold aloft the most recognized trophy in sports in front of 74,000 spectators at the Maracana Stadium, the world-famous football venue nestled among Rio de Janeiro's hills, high-rises and favelas.
Angel Di Maria will not start for Argentina in the World Cup final against Germany after struggling with a thigh injury.
The two powerhouses each had their chances before Mario Goetze, who came on as a substitute in the 88th minute, finally broke through with a left-footed finish in the 113th minute.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid used some downtime Thursday to size up the World Cup final and extol an Argentine superstar who is "built close to the ground."
The semifinals wrap up with Argentina and Holland, so which country will join Germany in the final?
Goalkeeper Sergio Romero saved penalties by Ron Vlaar and Wesley Sneijder to give Argentina the win after the game finished 0-0 following extra time. Maxi Rodriguez put away the winning spot kick.
Gonzalo Higuain ended a four-game scoreless streak with an early winner as Argentina beat Belgium 1-0 and reached a World Cup semifinal match for the first time since 1990.
Can Lionel Messi lift Argentina over Belgium in the quarterfinals