- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- Michael Bloomberg thumbs FAA ban, plots course to Israel
- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
Latest Lionel Messi Items
After carrying his team through the group stage in Brazil with four goals, Messi seemed to run out of steam. In the final Sunday, he created chances but, like the rest of the team, lacked the finishing touch to turn the game for Argentina.
As the winning captain, either Argentina forward Lionel Messi or Germany defender Philipp Lahm will hold aloft the most recognized trophy in sports in front of 74,000 spectators at the Maracana Stadium, the world-famous football venue nestled among Rio de Janeiro's hills, high-rises and favelas.
Angel Di Maria will not start for Argentina in the World Cup final against Germany after struggling with a thigh injury.
The two powerhouses each had their chances before Mario Goetze, who came on as a substitute in the 88th minute, finally broke through with a left-footed finish in the 113th minute.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid used some downtime Thursday to size up the World Cup final and extol an Argentine superstar who is "built close to the ground."
The semifinals wrap up with Argentina and Holland, so which country will join Germany in the final?
Goalkeeper Sergio Romero saved penalties by Ron Vlaar and Wesley Sneijder to give Argentina the win after the game finished 0-0 following extra time. Maxi Rodriguez put away the winning spot kick.
Gonzalo Higuain ended a four-game scoreless streak with an early winner as Argentina beat Belgium 1-0 and reached a World Cup semifinal match for the first time since 1990.
Can Lionel Messi lift Argentina over Belgium in the quarterfinals