- Ben Affleck: Fundraising for Democrats started to ‘feel gross’
- Vladimir Putin orders military to boost presence in Arctic
- Brooklyn, N.Y.: ‘Lesbian capital’ of the Northeast
- Elian Gonzalez: It’s America’s fault that my mother died
- India top court rules homosexuality is illegal
- Aaron Hernandez, ex-Patriot, on prison life: ‘I’m way less stressed in jail’
- Man pulled from water believed to be disgraced D.C. cop
- Kabul airport hit by suicide bomber who targeted NATO gate
- Space probe on course to land on mile-wide comet
- New budget accord saves $23 billion — after $65 billion spending spree
Latest Mahmoud Abbas Items
JERUSALEM — President Bush arrived in Israel yesterday to an enthusiastic welcome and said he was optimistic that a peace agreement could be reached this year.
RAMALLAH, West Bank — A group of West Bank businessmen is trying to establish a political party to tap into Palestinian disillusionment with Hamas and Fatah by challenging both.
RAMALLAH, West Bank — Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad warned yesterday that a regional summit backed by President Bush could backfire if it fails to advance prospects of an Israeli-Palestinian peace treaty, with consequences throughout the region.
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) Hamas forces arrested the top Palestinian law enforcement figure today after the ally of the rival Fatah movement returned to the Gaza Strip to try to reassert his authority.
Ehud Olmert, the Israeli prime minister, and Mahmoud Abbas, Palestinian president, have met for the first time at Jericho, which would be on Palestinian soil if a two-state solution to the Arab-Israeli conflict ever emerges.
Misguided foreign policy
JERUSALEM — Inmates in Gaza's main prison now can shave a year off their sentences if they grow a beard and memorize five chapters from the Koran.
RAMALLAH, West Bank — Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice yesterday pushed Israel and the Palestinians to discuss all issues leading to a Palestinian state, as she sought backing for a international peace conference later this year.