- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Latest Marcel Granollers Items
The last man from the United States left is Tim Smyczek, a 25-year-old from Milwaukee who got into the main draw thanks to a wild-card invitation from the U.S. Tennis Association.
Defending champion Andy Murray could face top-seeded Novak Djokovic only in the U.S. Open semifinals, while Nadal and Federer — who have never played each other at Flushing Meadows — might meet in the quarterfinals.
The U.S. Open champion met with specialists this week and has opted to now focus on preparing for the start of the grass-court season and Wimbledon next month.
Murray retired from his second-round match with Spanish opponent Marcel Granollers at the Italian Open on Wednesday with lower back pain and considers himself doubtful for the French Open.
Nicolas Almagro has withdrawn from Spain's Davis Cup first-round tie against Canada because of an injury.
Spain will open the Davis Cup against Canada without injured star Rafael Nadal or regular member David Ferrer.
The Czech Republic won the doubles Saturday to take a 2-1 lead over defending champion Spain in the Davis Cup final, moving one victory away from its first title as an independent nation.
With Rafael Nadal injured again, David Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro will lead defending champion Spain for its Davis Cup semifinal against the United States this month.
Rafael Nadal will lead an unchanged Spain squad against Argentina in next month's Davis Cup final.