- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Latest Mary Elizabeth Winstead Items
"Smashed," a slight, tenderhearted film about a hard-drinking young woman who risks her marriage to try to get sober, is presented in a series of compelling, darkly comic vignettes. While the film gives some elements of this tale the short shrift in an effort to keep to its brisk pace, the performance from its lead is so magnetic and true that it scarcely matters.
The title "Smashed" refers not so much to the nearly perpetual state of inebriation that a young husband and wife put themselves in but rather to the way the wife finds her existence truly shattered when she tries to get sober.