- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Topic - Matt Thornton
Jered Weaver bounded off the field shouting and pumping his fist after quashing a base-loaded jam with no outs in the top of the eighth inning. He was pretty excited in the bottom half, too, as he watched his teammates walk around the bases.
The New York Yankees had as much trouble with plate umpire Laz Diaz's attitude as they did with his strike zone.
NEW YORK (AP) — Left-hander Matt Thornton completed his $7 million, two-year contract with the New York Yankees, who cut outfielder Vernon Wells.
An All-Star in 2005 and 2007, the 36-year-old Roberts had spent his entire 13-year major league career with Baltimore. He has not played a full season since 2009 because of injuries.
With job security out of the way, White Sox lefty Matt Thornton can now turn his attention to proving he should be Chicago's closer.
The Chicago White Sox have placed relievers Matt Thornton and J.J. Putz on the 15-day disabled list, leaving their bullpen a bit short on experience.
"House Majority PAC stands behind the facts in our ads," said Matt Thornton, communications director for the group.
"He was always level," said White Sox reliever Matt Thornton, who was on the 2009 World Baseball Classic team that Johnson managed, describing Johnson's demeanor on Day 1 with the Nationals to a T. "He was always right there.