- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- African leader cancels trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag when Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
Latest merkel Items
Chancellor Angela Merkel was strongly favored to win a third term at the helm of Europe's biggest economy as Germans voted in a national election Sunday, but the popular conservative's hopes of governing with center-right allies for another four years were in the balance.
Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative allies triumphed in Bavaria's state election Sunday, according to projections, though her partners in government suffered a painful setback just a week before Germany's national vote.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative-led coalition was neck and neck with Germany's center-left opposition in a state election Sunday that was a major test ahead of a national vote later this year, projections showed.
Chancellor Angela Merkel launched her bid for re-election Tuesday, telling party faithful her government has successfully steered Germany through the worst of the European financial crisis and is best equipped to guide it through what may still be tough times ahead.
Germany's most populous state is holding a legislative election Sunday, with polls showing good chances of victory for a center-left regional government that Chancellor Angela Merkel has sought to label as irresponsibly spendthrift.
Chancellor Angela Merkel pledged Monday to press ahead with a review of nuclear power's future in Germany after her coalition suffered a "very painful" defeat in a weekend state election dominated by Japan's nuclear crisis.