- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
Metro Transit Police Department
Latest Metro Transit Police Department Items
A Metro Transit Police detective shot and killed a man in the 7000 block of Lory Lane in Lanham on Wednesday.
Records suggest that the the Metro's 600-member police force has conducted little enforcement of the transit system's everyday rules and that the department also counts among its ranks people who have been arrested for violent and predatory crimes.
A Metro revenue technician and police officer have been accused of systematically stealing thousands of dollars in coins from stations throughout Virginia, Maryland and the District, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia said Thursday.
Four men who brazenly carjacked a man and his daughter at a Prince George's County Metrorail station Wednesday morning appear to have used as a getaway car a vehicle they stole last week during a similar station assault, officials said.
Words of warning: Beware of pickpockets and snatch-and-grabs. Thieves ride public transit, too -- and cell phones, iPods and the like are some of their favorite targets.
Officials from local and federal police agencies yesterday reassured the public that they are not anticipating an elevated security threat for the District's July Fourth festivities, despite recent attempted terrorist attacks in Britain.