- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
Topic - Mike Shaw
Firefighters and neighbors in the small southern Oregon community of Hugo managed to rescue a horse that had fallen into a deep mudhole.
Maine's Democratic-controlled House gave initial approval to a bill that would establish an in-person system for early voting in the state, but the vote fell short of the two-thirds support it will need for final passage.
Detroit Lions receiver Nate Burleson broke his arm in a single-car accident early Tuesday after he reached over to keep two pizza boxes from falling off the front passenger seat, authorities said.
The Lions said surgery was scheduled for Tuesday and did not immediately say how much time Burleson might miss.
California rang in the New Year by placing truck engines, trailers, tires and even entire vehicles on its environmental out list — requiring motor carriers to spend tens of thousands of dollars on new equipment that may never meet the state's ambitious objectives.
The Grants Pass Daily Courier reports (http://is.gd/lkzQpV ) that Rural/Metro Fire Department Lt. Mike Shaw says the horse accidentally got into a closed-off portion of a pasture where it fell into the hole Monday evening.
"Send the question to voters; let them decide," he told lawmakers.