- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Latest Mother'S Day Items
To the Colombian Embassy, a rose by any other name still spells free trade.
When the Miami Heat ended practice Sunday, Dwyane Wade went home to his sons.
Dallas Braden is never one to be bashful: The Oakland lefty is certain the Year of the Pitcher can carry on through 2011 and beyond.
When Joe McGill spreads his sleeping bag on the floor of a slave cabin, he knows that spending the night there will conjure the specter of slavery.
This week Americans honor their fathers on Father's Day. This is a particularly important Father's Day because it's the 100th anniversary of the celebration. It is said that Father's Day began in 1910 in response to Mother's Day. Sonora Smart Dodd came up with the idea while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in church. Dodd's mother had died during childbirth, and she and her five siblings were raised by her father. Dodd thought there should be a holiday to recognize the important contributions of fathers. Father's Day began not to recognize the contributions of fathers at work but at home.
Around the globe, pneumonia is the leading cause of death in children younger than 5, according to statistics on the World Pneumonia Day Web site. Every 15 seconds, a child dies from a disease that is both preventable and treatable at little cost says the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
The ideal father is hardworking, fun-loving, a good provider, understanding, wise, sometimes stern and, above all, inspiring. Yet a century ago, the popular image of the father was less radiant.
We Americans love salad and will make just about anything into one. One of the more popular genres is the so-called Chinese chicken salad. No doubt some ingenious American cook came up with adding Chinese ingredients to shredded chicken, and ever since then chefs have never looked back.
My 6-year-old granddaughter and 4-year-old grandson love spending time in the kitchen. In fact, the little boy has mentioned more than once that when he grows up, he's planning to become a chef.