- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Latest Moammar Gadhafi Items
Libyan officials have confirmed that the late dictator Moammar Gadhafi's wife and three of his children have gone missing from their Algerian home, where they had taken refuge.
French forces have quickly dislodged terrorist enclaves from the West African nation of Mali, but U.S. authorities "remain concerned about the continued presence of terrorist and extremists groups, including al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb," a high-ranking State Department official told Congress on Thursday.
France will host a meeting next week to address growing concerns over the dire security situation in Libya, a French official said on Tuesday.
Security in Benghazi, the eastern Libyan city where four Americans were killed Sept. 11 in a terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate, has decayed to the point where Westerners are fleeing, assassinations and kidnappings are rife and residents worry that U.S. drone strikes on jihadist targets are imminent.
Britain, Germany and the Netherlands urged their citizens Thursday to immediately leave the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi in response to what was described as an imminent threat against Westerners.
The man nominated to serve as Libya’s foreign minister has declined to take the job, despite being cleared by a panel that investigated his links to late dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
Senior State Department, defense and intelligence officials were well aware that Benghazi and its surrounding area harbored al Qaeda-linked extremists long before the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in the eastern Libyan city.
The Libyan government on Saturday announced the capture of Moammar Gadhafi's ex-spokesman outside a besieged town, as the oil-rich North African nation marked the anniversary of the ousted dictator's death.