- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
National Governors Association
Latest National Governors Association Items
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon's administration has been paying its dues to the National Governors Association with money intended for the oversight of the state's foster care program and other social services.
Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin will co-lead a session for national governors about reducing prescription drug abuse.
Gov. Deval Patrick is heading to Washington to participate in a two-day National Governors Association winter meeting.
Education Secretary Arne Duncan is expected to announce Wednesday morning the third round of Race to the Top, which will include new rewards for states that improve their pre-kindergarten education programs.
Wading back into the battle between Republican governors and public employee unions, President Obama on Monday told governors gathered at the White House that balancing state budgets will require shared sacrifice and that it doesn't do "any good when public employees are denigrated or vilified."
The heads of President Obama's national debt commission are painting a gloomy picture as the nation struggles to get its spending under control.
Governors hamstrung by the sluggish economic rebound in their states are pressing anew for Washington to step up with more help, some say even if it means adding to the nation's red ink.