- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - National Hurricane Center In Miami
After days of slowing moving toward the Gulf Coast, the storm system Karen has dissipated.
The government may be in shutdown mode, but White House heads are calling back Federal Emergency Management Agency workers to keep an eye on Tropical Storm Karen as it winds along the Gulf Coast and threatens to reach hurricane status.
Forget distinctions like tropical storm or hurricane. Don't get fixated on a particular track. Wherever it hits, the rare behemoth storm inexorably gathering in the eastern U.S. will afflict a third of the country with sheets of rain, high winds and heavy snow, say officials who warned millions in coastal areas to get out of the way.
With its massive size and ponderous movement, a strengthening Isaac could become a punishing rain machine depending on its power, speed and where it comes ashore along the Gulf Coast.
With its massive size and ponderous movement, Tropical Storm Isaac was gaining strength Monday as it headed toward the Gulf Coast.
arts of three states were under a tropical storm warning Sunday as Debby churned off the Gulf Coast, leaving wary residents to closely watch a storm whose path has so far been difficult to forecast.
Bud weakened to a tropical storm Friday as it headed toward a string of laid-back beach resorts and small mountain villages on Mexico's Pacific coast south of Puerto Vallarta. Two people, one of them from France, were reported missing in a separate storm in Cuba.
Richard Knabb, the tropical weather expert at The Weather Channel, will be the next chief of the U.S. government's hurricane forecasting hub in Florida, federal officials said Friday.
A tropical storm warning has been extended to include part of the Florida Panhandle as Tropical Storm Lee has begun to crawl northward again.
Forecasters said Tuesday there is a possibility that Hurricane Irene could move into the Chesapeake Bay by Sunday.
Tropical Storm Emily brushed past Puerto Rico and headed Wednesday toward the Dominican Republic and Haiti, where more than 630,000 people are still without shelter after last year's earthquake.
Mexican authorities opened shelters and warned people to watch out for mudslides Monday as Tropical Storm Hermine approached the northeastern border with Texas, the second major storm to hit the area this season.
Hurricane Danielle has weakened unexpectedly as it churns far out over the Atlantic.
Tropical Storm Bonnie has made landfall in Florida south of Miami with top sustained winds of 40 miles per hour.
A hurricane watch has been issued for the coasts of south Texas and northeastern Mexico as Tropical Storm Alex gains strength. Forecasters said the storm could push oil from the Gulf spill farther inland.