- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Latest Navy Items
Rep. Duncan D. Hunter, California Republican, is a member of the House Armed Services Committee and the first Marine combat veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars elected to Congress.
The Pentagon announced Thursday that it is keeping its longtime ban on women serving as infantry, armor and special operations warriors in ground combat units, but it will open 14,000 support positions for them in units closer to the front lines.
John Turner Sargent Sr., a publisher, editor and socialite who as CEO of Doubleday worked with authors from Dwight Eisenhower to Stephen King and helped recruit his friend Jacqueline Kennedy as an editor, died Sunday at age 87.
America's aging tactical Air Force — the jets that protect ground troops and strike hard-to-reach targets — is shrinking just as the Pentagon is cutting even more planes to achieve nearly a half-trillion dollars in spending cuts.
On Jan. 5, President Obama unveiled a new defense strategy in general terms, de-emphasizing nation-building land wars such as those in Iraq and Afghanistan in favor of a strategic shift that focuses on East Asia and the Western Pacific. This budget-driven strategy has shortcomings and will result in increased risk for our nation.
The dramatic rescue of an American aid worker and her Danish colleague in Somalia by Navy commandos was a terrific encore to the killing of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan nine months ago. However, all the White House-driven publicity for both events has helped turn the once-secret SEAL Team 6 into a household term, with likely negative consequences.
"Freedom isn't free." We usually hear this on occasions such as Memorial Day and Veterans Day. It's meant to remind us of the brave American troops who put their lives on the line daily to protect our liberty and preserve our security.
Navy forward Worth Smith barely practiced entering Saturday's game against Bucknell, consigned to the sideline while wearing a walking boot to deal with a stress reaction in his right foot.
As you pick up a copy of "Hedy's Folly," with its eye-popping jacket of an incandescent Hedy Lamarr seductively wrapped around a gilded torpedo, you begin to wonder just what exactly you are getting into. The subtitle, "The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of the Most Beautiful Woman in the World," gives you a clue.