- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay comments
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
New Year's Day
Latest New Year's Day Items
A bomb blast tore through a beer garden at a Nigerian army barracks where revelers had gathered to celebrate New Year's Eve, witnesses said, and state-run television reported Friday that 30 people died, though police immediately disputed that.
Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux never took their can-you-top-this rivalry outdoors, back to the purest form of hockey played on ponds instead of indoor palaces. Where whipping winds and a frozen shooting hand can influence the result as much as a hot goaltender.
A lawyer for jailed Russian oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky on Friday appealed his sentence of six more years in prison, a punishment seen as payback for challenging Vladimir Putin's power and which was widely condemned in the West.
Multicolored starbusts and gigantic sparklers lit the midnight sky over Sydney Harbor in a dazzling fireworks show witnessed by 1.5 million enthusiastic spectators who camped out all day to ring in the new year.
Tornadoes fueled by unusually warm winter air sliced through parts of the South and Midwest on Friday, killing at least four people, injuring dozens of others and knocking out power to thousands of homes and businesses.
Montey Chapel and his sons have a new flat-screen television and football-watching plan for New Year's weekend _ watch every bowl game.
Saturday afternoon's National Hockey League game between the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins is officially known as Game No. 566 on this year's 1,230-game schedule — but this particular contest carries a lot more weight.
There was no stick-breaking by Sidney Crosby when his 25-game scoring streak ended one game short of the Winter Classic. To Crosby, the streak was good while it lasted, but he never had any expectations of threatening Wayne Gretzky's record 51-game run.
Turns out there wasn't room for Snooki in Times Square this New Year's Eve. MTV's plan to put "Jersey Shore" star Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi inside a ball to drop from the network's Times Square headquarters has been dropped after an objection by the group that oversees the world-famous celebration.