- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Latest Northern Virginia Items
Last week, the contractor for the first phase of the Silver Line Metro extension certified that Phase One was complete. The Silver Line will eventually take riders deep into Loudoun County, beyond Washington Dulles International Airport.
Virginia budget negotiators have agreed on a new two-year, $85 billion spending plan, but the Senate's leading Democrat said Thursday his party would not deliver the necessary votes to pass it.
The holidays are a time when generous spirits prevail, and families, individuals and businesses often donate their resources to help others, whether by collecting toys for needy children, feeding hungry people or gathering clothing for wounded service members and their families.
The mention of Confederate cavalry leader James Ewell Brown "Jeb" Stuart along with the Battle of Gettysburg normally equates to controversy. Historians point to the separation of Stuart from Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia as central to the Confederate defeat in July 1863 because it denied Lee the intelligence he needed to maneuver successfully against the Union Army of the Potomac.