- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
By John McAfee
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Omar Jamal
A warship is shadowing a yacht with four Americans on board that was hijacked by Somali pirates, a pirate said Sunday, as the vessel was reported to be moving closer to the Somali coast.
Patrols around mosques and other Islamic sites in Portland, Ore., have been stepped up as Muslim leaders expressed fears of retribution, days after a Somali-American man was accused of trying to blow up a van full of explosives during Portland's Christmas-tree-lighting ceremony.
A Somali-born teenager plotted "a spectacular show" of terrorism for months, saying he didn't mind that children would die if he bombed a crowded Christmas tree-lighting ceremony, according to a law-enforcement official and court documents.
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) Fears that an interstate bridge collapse might produce dozens of deaths eased today as authorities said the number of missing, once thought to be as many as 30, was just eight.
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Authorities searching the rubble of an interstate bridge collapse lowered the number of people believed missing Friday to eight, a figure far lower than what had been feared since the catastrophe happened during rush-hour traffic.
Mr. Jamal said there is an urgent need to address the piracy problem.
In New York, the first secretary of Somalia's U.N. mission, Omar Jamal, said he had received reports from Somalia that the boat was expected to make landfall late Sunday.