- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Patrick Mara
D.C. voters will turn out Tuesday to elect a council member and to decide whether to grant the city budget autonomy from Congress the fourth time in a year that residents have been asked to take to the polls.
D.C. Council candidate Patrick Mara on Tuesday called on Mayor Vincent C. Gray to replace the city's fire chief, saying Kenneth Ellerbe is "not the best person for the job."
Thomas steps aside as committee chairman; Graham 'tested' by FBI; Va. lawmakers meet for congressional redistricting maps; Police find record number of guns on Metro system; GOP's Mara joins DC Vote; Metro will not extend weekend wait times; Md. lawmaker wants to halt outlet plan temporarily
Vincent B. Orange, who awoke Wednesday as the newest member of the D.C. Council, said a "perfect storm" of divided support among nine candidates helped him stave off an ambitious Republican and oust the Democratic incumbent in Tuesday's special election for an at-large council seat.
D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray will get an early test of his political capital in the April 26 special election to fill a City Council vacancy, and members of both parties already say the new mayor is misreading the tea leaves.
"D.C. Fire and EMS Chief Kenneth Ellerbe arrived to the job under a dark cloud. His tenure has been unremarkable and checkered by controversy. It is time for Mayor Gray to find a replacement," Mr. Mara said in a statement.