- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Topic - Patrick Shomo
A Maryland judge on Thursday denied a temporary restraining order that would have prevented Maryland State Police from using outside agency employees to process a backlog of gun applications.
Maryland gun clubs and advocates are asking a judge to stop the state police from using other agency employees to process a massive backlog of gun applications — a practice they say compromises gun owners' personal information.
Gun owners place a high value on their privacy. Anti-gun politicians realize this and are hoping they can use the prospect of entering their names into a gun registry to scare these Americans away from buying a firearm. Every time these gun grabbers get caught in the act, Second Amendment supporters need to cry foul.
A Maryland delegate says a plan by the nation's leading gun rights group to file a lawsuit to overturn the state's recently passed firearms bill is meeting some resistance among activists.
"I promise we won't stop until they notify the people whose data was exposed on the Internet that they need to take precautions," he said.
Mr. Shomo notes that the new security protocols highlighted by the attorney general — including the move of the data-entry system to an internal and encrypted police network — show progress but reveal how vulnerable personal information was under the old system.