- Executive order: Obama ups green-energy mandate on feds to 20 percent
- GOP launches candidate training: How to talk to women
- N.Y.’s Rockefeller Center lights up, as Bloomberg flicks on 76-foot Christmas tree
- Northern Ireland turns to ‘Game of Thrones’ to draw in tourists
- Washington woman live-tweets husband’s horrific car death
- China City of America mulled for New York — with $65M tax dollars
- Yemen defense ministry rocked by suicide bomber, gunfire
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Mystery deepens over radioactive cobalt-60 stolen in Mexico
- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
Latest Penny Pritzker Items
President Obama came into office promising to change the way money influences government, but when it comes to the familiar Washington habit of rewarding big campaign fundraisers with coveted jobs, his administration is in overdrive.
To some, Commerce Secretary nominee Penny Pritzker is known as "the Bundler" of campaign cash. She is also a Hyatt hotel heiress and billionaire who was President Obama's 2008 campaign-finance manager ("Commerce nominee Pritzker downplays role in management of failed bank," Web, May 23).
President Obama's choice of Hyatt hotel heiress Penny Pritzker as secretary of commerce, to be taken up Thursday by the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, puts Democrats on the panel between that famous rock and a hard place.
Commerce secretary-nominee Penny Pritzker told lawmakers Thursday that she regrets the losses suffered by customers of a failed bank she once led, but a lawyer for the depositors said the bank's owners never fully reimbursed them or the government.
During his 2012 campaign for re-election, President Obama and his team accused Mitt Romney of "betting against America" for investing in offshore accounts. If Mr. Romney "bet against America," so did the family of Penny Pritzker, Mr. Obama's nominee for commerce secretary.
President Obama nominated longtime fundraiser and hotel heiress Penny Pritzker Thursday to run the Commerce Department, gambling that her role in a failed bank and opposition from labor groups won't derail her Senate confirmation.
Chicago businesswoman Penny Pritzker, who ran President Obama's campaign fundraising operation in 2008 and was criticized for her role in a bank failure, is under consideration to serve as Commerce secretary.
A billionaire Chicago family that donated and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for President Obama got a $3.5 million discount last year for paying off early a $460 million settlement deal it agreed to in the 2001 failure of a Chicago-area bank it owned.
A billionaire Chicago family that has donated and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for President Obama got a deal from the federal government to avoid paying all of a $460 million settlement it agreed to in the 2001 failure of a Chicago-area bank it owned, while 1,400 former depositors are still owed more than $10 million in lost savings.