- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
Latest Pentagon Items
The budget deal doesn't give anyone 100 percent of what they want (which is why it's called a compromise), but why single out veterans and make them give up their benefits so we can fix the budget ("This is no bargain," Comment & Analysis, Dec. 12)?
U.S. intelligence agencies are monitoring a political dispute between Iran's foreign minister, who is a key player in nuclear talks, and the commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), the hard-line shock troops behind the Islamist regime in Tehran.
The Air Force's A-10 "Warthog," which provides close air support for ground troops, has survived enemy anti-aircraft fire for decades but is about to be downed by the budget cutter's pen.
CIA officers revealed a clash over how quickly they should go help the besieged U.S. ambassador during the 2012 attack on an outpost in Libya, and a standing order for them to avoid violent encounters, according to a congressman and others who heard their private congressional testimony or were briefed on it.
A Chinese naval vessel tried to force a U.S. guided missile warship to stop in international waters recently, causing a tense military standoff in the latest case of Chinese maritime harassment, according to defense officials.
The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is hailing the Pentagon for removing a Nativity scene at Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, S.C., after critics deemed the display "offensive" ("Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene," Web, Dec. 11). According to The Washington Times, the group's founder, Mikey Weinstein, boasted that the operation took barely more than two hours.
President Obama's brain trust on Afghanistan does not know how much the U.S. spends on the war each year or the American cost in lost lives on the battlefield.
There is little to like in the debt-heavy budget deal that is about to pass Congress. It does not seriously attack billions of dollars in wasteful spending and barely nicks monster deficits that are forecast to grow by more than $6 trillion over the next 10 years.
President Obama's brain trust on Afghanistan does not know much the U.S. spends on the war each year or the American cost in lost lives on the battlefield.