- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
Latest Peru Items
Some ancient penguins may have been twice as big as today's Emperor penguin but they lacked the dashing tuxedo. Researchers unearthed remains of a nearly 5-foot-tall penguin that roamed what is now Peru about 36 million years ago, and they also discovered fossilized feathers that show back then, the flightless bird was a more motley mix of reddish-brown and gray.
Some say the San Miguel River is a river with eyes: A swimming child bolts from the water and disappears into the jungle. A boatman revs his outboard engine. A chain saw grinds to an ear-splitting whine - all potential warnings of illegally armed groups operating in this dense jungle, where a sizable portion of the world's cocaine is produced and shipped.
A court in Peru has revoked parole for American activist Lori Berenson. It has ordered that she be captured and sent back to prison to finish the last five years of her 20-year prison sentence for aiding leftist rebels.
Joran van der Sloot, the main suspect in the killing of a young woman in Peru last month and in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teenager Natalee Holloway, suffers from mental problems, his mother told a Dutch newspaper in an interview published on its website Sunday.
The song Sam Baker sings probes the psychological legacy for Mr. Baker, who had been talking to the boy before the bomb went off. Its title, "Broken Fingers," reveals part of the physical legacy — three twisted, unusable fingers that forced him to relearn to play the guitar left-handed.
PISCO, Peru (AP) Rescuers combed rubble for survivors after a powerful earthquake devastated cities and sent a church's soaring ceiling tumbling down on hundreds of worshippers in southern Peru, and at least five aftershocks struck early today.
ICA, Peru (AP) — Rescuers struggled across a shattered countryside today to reach victims of a magnitude-8.0 earthquake that killed at least 355 people. More than 1,500 people were reported injured and the Red Cross said the toll was expected to rise.
LIMA, Peru (AP) — A powerful earthquake shook Peru's coast near the capital yesterday, killing at least 17 persons as it toppled buildings and caused hundreds to flee office buildings in Lima.