- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
Topic - Pleasant Brodnax
The former chief of staff for a D.C. Council member was sentenced Tuesday to eight months in prison for accepting $1,500 from a member of the taxicab industry who sought beneficial legislation.
Prosecutors sought a 14-month prison sentence, but Judge Friedman opted for the lowest sentence recommended under federal sentencing guidelines, Loza's attorney Pleasant Brodnax said.
More than 130 people also wrote letters to the judge on Loza's behalf praising work he accomplished in their communities or other positive effects he had on their lives, Mr. Brodnax said.