- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Latest Public Works Items
Listen up, Maryland public schools — state Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot has a bone to pick with you.
The Maryland Board of Public Works voted Wednesday to keep the state property-tax rate at its current level, but one member warned that increases could come soon if the state doesn't tighten its belt.
More consumers are doing their holiday shopping online, but don't expect Maryland Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot to join them anytime soon.
Maryland's State Highway Administration broke state laws by using $11.3 million in funds since 2008 for unapproved purposes and to conceal overspending on projects, according to an government audit.
The much-ballyhooed filming of Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln epic starring Daniel Day-Lewis has been underway in Richmond for some time. For those in and around Capitol Square, it's hard not to notice, what with all the actors milling around in 19th-century garb.
Maryland officials on Wednesday approved Bowie State University's plan to spend $553,000 on 32 Steinway pianos over the objection of Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot, who has become increasingly critical of the state's spending amid an anticipated $1 billion shortfall.
Maryland Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot made clear before taking office in 2007 that he would expand the job description beyond collecting taxes, paying the state's bills and auditing its agencies, and he is living up to that promise.
Virginia governor Bob McDonnell, widely considered to be on the short list for a vice-presidential pick next year, is slated to be the keynote speaker at the New Hampshire Republican Party's annual fundraiser Sept. 26 in Concord.