- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Selfies at Funerals blog creator retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Budget deal exposes GOP divisions; conservatives slam tax hikes, vague cuts
Latest Roanoke College Items
The federal government shutdown has seen Democrat Terry McAuliffe pad his lead in the Virginia governor's race against Republican Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II, whose favorability rating in one new poll is lower than Sen. Ted Cruz, the Texas Republican who has become the principal face of the congressional impasse.
The word Virginia voters most commonly associate with their gubernatorial candidates is "dishonest," according to poll results released Thursday that offer a glimpse into the collateral damage inflicted by the candidates' negative campaigns.
For the second time in a week, Virginia poll results suggest an independent gubernatorial run by Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling would have little effect on likely Republican nominee Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II in a contest with Democrat Terry McAuliffe.
Far from losing control of the Senate, the latest polling suggests Democrats could actually expand their majority on Tuesday — a stunning turnaround for a party that entered this cycle playing defense across the board.
Gun control advocates sputter at their own impotence. The National Rifle Association is politically ascendant. And Barack Obama's White House pledges to safeguard the Second Amendment in its first official response to the deaths of at least 12 people in a mass shooting at a new Batman movie screening in suburban Denver.
Virginia might well fulfill its expected role as a swing state in the 2012 presidential race, but strict ballot rules have largely reduced the commonwealth to under-card status on Super Tuesday when 10 states hold primaries or caucuses.
Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II leads Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling by 19 percentage points in the likely Republican nomination contest for governor in 2013, according to a poll released Thursday.
Poll results released Tuesday show significant daylight between Republican George Allen and Democrat Tim Kaine in the campaign to replace retiring Sen. Jim Webb from Virginia.
The charter bus chugged down Airport Road on Saturday morning, with fans walking next to it on both sides and empty Lane Stadium looming across a parking lot. Virginia Tech sophomore quarterback Logan Thomas looked out the bus windows and thought this had to be the best view in the world.