- Congress ready to extend ban on plastic firearms
- Rogue reindeer runs from Santa, eludes police for hours
- Iran touts new laser that bolsters missile accuracy
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Deadly N.Y. train derailment leads to Senate call for cameras at tracks
- WWII vet, 90, en route to Pearl Harbor event booted from flight
- SWAT team at Phoenix hospital as armed man clears emergency room
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle dragged from political meeting, booted from party
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Thai prime minister dissolves Parliament, calls elections
San Jose Mercury News
Latest San Jose Mercury News Items
An 85-year-old war veteran from Palo Alto, Calif. has been detained in North Korea for more than three weeks, the San Jose Mercury News first reported.
As Veteran's Day approaches, companies are pledging and amping up prior pledges to hire more veterans.
Attorneys for San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith and former Niners tight end Delanie Walker have filed a response to a civil lawsuit filed by a Northern California man who says he was shot during a party at Smith's house.
Joe Montana's plan to build a new hotel and restaurant next to the 49ers' new Silicon Valley stadium is not advancing as quickly as expected.
The Giants fan who chucked a banana near Baltimore Orioles centerfielder Adam Jones during a game in San Francisco this weekend said he was shocked to learn he was at the height of the controversy.
A former official of the Bay Area Rapid Transit raked in more than $333,000 last year without working a single day after she resigned under pressure in May 2011.
Children at a California elementary school were able to turn in their toy guns for books and raffle tickets on Saturday.
A group of activists reclaimed a tract of land in Albany, Calif., owned by the University of California at Berkeley on Saturday in a takeover they termed Occupy the Farm.
San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed's request to sit down with Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig to discuss the Oakland A's pursuit of a San Jose ballpark has been rejected, a newspaper reported.