- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - seattle sounders
Robbie Rogers has become the first openly gay soccer player to take the field in a U.S. professional league. He was put into the Major League Soccer game — Los Angeles Galaxy versus Seattle Sounders — on Sunday night as a substitute, The Associated Press reported. His Galaxy team won, 4-0.
To Major League Soccer, the All-Star Game in recent years had become, in some regards, a sore subject. Envisioned as a spotlight for the league's top talent, the midsummer spectacle instead developed into an arbitrary symbol for how far soccer in the U.S. still has to go.
A venture capitalist who wants to build a sports arena to bring professional basketball back to Seattle will pay for a study to determine the impacts on traffic and parking following objections by his potential neighbor _ the Seattle Mariners.
The Los Angeles Galaxy will play Toronto FC in an all-Major League Soccer pairing in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals, and the Seattle Sounders will meet Mexico's Santos Laguna.
For the past two seasons, D.C. United defender Marc Burch's career has been stuck in neutral.
For the moment, D.C. United has stopped the bleeding. The club also may have found its creative spark.
D.C. United coach Ben Olsen, at 34 years old and just 18 months removed from his playing career, typically provides a sense of levity on the practice field, cracking jokes while bringing his unique comic energy to the proceedings. Despite his prominent title, he often seems just like one of the guys.
Steve Yzerman spent part of September in Traverse City, Mich., as he has for years.
Georgios Samaras' penalty and Patrick McCourt's second-half goal gave Celtic FC a 2-1 exhibition win over the Seattle Sounders on Sunday.