- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
Latest Serena Williams Items
Saturday's victory completed the No. 1-ranked Williams' rebound from a shocking loss to 111th-ranked Virginie Razzano in the first round at Roland Garros a year ago. Since that defeat she's 74-3.
Williams reached the French Open final for the first time since 2002 when she beat Sara Errani 6-0, 6-1 Thursday. The 15-time Grand Slam champion won her only Roland Garros title 11 years ago, beating sister Venus in the final.
Williams came from behind in the third set Tuesday and advanced to Roland Garros' final four for the first time since 2003 when she defeated Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.
Federer was eliminated before the semifinals for the second time in past three major events, but only the fifth time in the past nine years at a Grand Slam tournament.
The 15-time Grand Slam champion next plays 2009 French Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova. With a victory, Williams would earn her first berth in a French Open semifinal since 2003.
Entering the tournament, seven-time champion Nadal had lost only 14 sets in 53 matches at the French Open. Now he has lost the opening set in each of the first two rounds.
Filling a mostly empty stadium court with her familiar shrieks Wednesday, the world's former No. 1 player beat Elena Vesnina of Russia 6-1, 6-4 in a match postponed one day because of rain. That meant Azarenka reached the second round 72 hours after some players.
While Williams looks unbeatable of late, Federer has yet to win a tournament this year, the first time he has arrived at Roland Garros without a title since 2000. But he's rested and healthy, and his vast repertoire of shots was on full display against the overmatched Somdev Devvarman, who is ranked 188th and now 0-9 against top-10 players.
Djokovic began his bid to win his first French Open title with a 7-6 (5), 6-4, 7-5 victory Tuesday against 58th-ranked David Goffin of Belgium.