- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
Topic - Sherwood Brown
This was just FGCU's sixth Division I season and second in which it was eligible to play in the postseason. What made Friday night's victory over second-seeded Georgetown even more special for the 15th-seeded Eagles was history, or the absence of it.
Bernard Thompson had 23 points and Sherwood Brown added 17 for FGCU, the 16-year-old school in just its second season being eligible for postseason play.
"At that moment it was like 20 seconds left in the game, and we were just having a little bit of fun," Brown said. "This is our first time being to the NCAA tournament. To actually go out there and win that first game, it means something really special to us."