- Colorado rakes in $2 million from January’s marijuana sales
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
Smithsonian Institution Building
Latest Smithsonian Institution Building Items
Healing and forgiveness were the prevailing attitudes at the Washington National Cathedral a week after green paint was found splattered within two of its chapels and on three other well-known sites around the District.
D.C. police on Monday arrested a woman in a string of green-paint vandalism in the District, but officials said they did not know whether she was responsible for all or just some of the incidents that include Friday's attack on the Lincoln Memorial.
Maru Montero left for the United States from her home in Oaxaca, Mexico, with just one pair of dance shoes. It was a sacrifice. But now she has her own dance company and directs the National Cinco de Mayo Festival, which took place on the Mall on Sunday.
Space shuttle Discovery soared around the Washington Monument and the White House in a salute to the nation's capital Tuesday before landing for the last time near its new museum home.
Lakeside gardens, dining rooms hovering over water, grassy new amphitheaters and underground pavilions at the foot of the Washington Monument have emerged as finalists in a design competition to overhaul neglected sites on the Mall.
Lakeside gardens, dining rooms hovering over water, grassy new amphitheaters and underground pavilions at the foot of the Washington Monument have emerged as finalists in a design competition to overhaul neglected sites on the National Mall.
There's a certain promise to a garden - any garden. The flowers that bloom in the spring breathe promises of sunshine and the summer yet to come. But the bee balm, black-eyed Susans and hollyhocks of an old-fashioned garden - "grandmother's garden" - can carry with them an aura all their own, tied to memory, community and connection in ways that modern hybrids simply don't have.
Welcome to Washington, one of the most exciting and beautiful cities in the world. America's Federal City is the seat of government as well as a city of monuments and memorials.