- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Latest Spelman College Items
Alice Walker, who turns 70 later this month, is thinking about her legacy.
Vermont Law School has partnered with several historically black colleges and universities to expand racial and ethnic diversity in the legal profession.
African-American women have the highest obesity rate of any group of Americans. Four out of five black women have a body mass index above 25 percent, the threshold for being overweight or obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By comparison, nearly two-thirds of Americans overall are in this category, the CDC said.
Nicole Ari Parker was motivated by frustration. For Star Jones, it was a matter of life or death. Toni Carey wanted a fresh start after a bad breakup.
Dorothy Carter, a former stage actress who starred in the adaptation of the groundbreaking novel "Strange Fruit" on Broadway and later became an educator and a children's book author, has died after battling bladder cancer. She was 94.
Earnest graduates will not get much encouragement from conservatives in the next few days. They'll get a liberal earful, for the most part: a new analysis by Young Americas Foundation found that out of 51 high-profile commencement speakers appearing on the nation's campuses this season, only 13 were conservative.