- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Latest Sports Items
Like his former Manchester United boss, Alex Ferguson, David Beckham picked the right time and best way to retire _ as a winner and before the worst ravages of age became painfully apparent.
In the Nationals' brief history, Greinke represents one of their greatest "What if?" questions. What if the right-hander hadn't nixed the rumored trade that would've brought him to D.C. instead of Milwaukee before the 2011 season — and possibly cost the Nationals multiple members of their core?
Ovechkin was held scoreless for the final five games against the Rangers and said he had some "bruises" but nothing that affected his performance.
Easier said than done, of course. No one is going to hand the Caps a top-level player. Can they afford to sign one? Can they put together enough of a package to trade for one, even if it might cost them someone like Braden Holtby? If they can get one, they need to make sure they do it.
Because the Washington Capitals were done before the final horn in Game 7 Monday night, those watching had some extra time to contemplate general manager George McPhee's work this offseason. But after the Caps became the only NHL team to make the Stanley Cup playoffs in each of the past six years and not reach at least the conference finals, don't expect much to look different when they open the 2013-14 season.
Islanders forward Matt Moulson, Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane and Lightning forward Martin St. Louis are the three finalists for the NHL's Lady Byng Trophy, the league's sportsmanship award.
David Beckham won league titles with four clubs in four countries in a long career that included a record 115 appearances for England. The soccer superstar who also became a fashion icon and a global celebrity announced Thursday that he will retire at the end of the season.
Maryland's first Big Ten game is at Indiana on Sept. 27, and then Ohio State visits College Park the next week.
Paul Stastny had two goals and two assists and Craig Smith had five assists on Thursday to give the United States an 8-3 win over Russia and a spot in the semifinals.