- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Topic - Steffen Schmidt
This isn't the first time Republicans have tried to bail on the Iowa straw poll.
"I'm carrying the flag — no way are we going to end the Ames straw poll," Mr. Schmidt said. "It does everything: it gives candidates a chance to show they can organize, make speeches, put on a display, hire a caterer, hire a band. It raises a lot of money for the Iowa Republican Party, and if you can do that and have a great time, why would you kill it?"
"Let's have Hillary Clinton and Chris Christie debate each other at the Ames Straw Poll. I'm serious," Mr. Schmidt said. "The Democrats might think it's kind of tacky to copy the Republicans, but they're missing an opportunity to piggyback on a great event."