- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Latest Steven Pinker Items
Beyond the headlines, life on Earth is getting better every day
Name-checking Borges, Foucault, P.T. Barnum, Stephen Pinker and Mao Zedong along the way, Dutch IM Willy Hendriks has written a chess instruction manual quite unlike any other in the literature.
Books about an Indian slum, an Everest expedition and the history of violence are among the six finalists for Britain's most lucrative nonfiction book award, the Samuel Johnson Prize.
An upcoming book about Jewish athletes has an all-star lineup.
It seems as if violence is everywhere, but it's really on the run.
Here we have in the form of a short, readable book a series of lectures - the Terry Lectures - by the author of three much-loved novels firmly rooted in American cultural and intellectual history and two other works of well-cast prose argument.